We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
This key role within our Driver team will be pivotal in shaping Uber’s vehicle supply growth trajectory across our markets - both developed and emerging. We are looking for experienced and cutting edge technologists to help build and scale world-class products. If you are excited about fundamentally re-imagining transportation access, impacting the lives of millions of drivers, working with and learning from a phenomenal team of product,engineering,operations, and business leaders, this is the role for you.
You will help grow Uber’s supply side and enabling driver partners prospects that don’t own a car by building product solutions that provide easy and sustainable access to vehicles.
What You’ll Do
- Work on systems to create a marketplace experience for drivers to browse, select and book vehicle options.
- Drive deep technical integrations with rental and financing partners in multiple countries/regions
- Build and work with real-time/batch data pipelines that feed into monitoring and reporting systems to understand the status of a vehicle partner’s fleet
- Build risk assessment signals for vehicle partners to evaluate driver partners and help drive down fraud and loss to zero.
- Build systems that will help us suggest the right kind of vehicle solution for each driver-partner.
- Gain exposure to building systems that span the entire Uber tech stack- mobile app, large-scale backend systems, data pipelines, web-frontend and more.
What You’ll Need
- 6+ years Strong Meaningful Individual contributor experience as a software engineer
- Architecture: Knowledge of data structures and an eye for architecture. You can discuss the tradeoff between architectural choices, both on a theoretical level and on an applied level.
- Strong coding/debugging abilities: You have advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and are happy to learn more. Our core languages are Go and Java.
- Distributed Systems: Experience building distributed systems at scale.
- Fast learner: We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- A team player: You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen: You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.